Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday- Queen of the Ranch Chicken Ole!


In honor of our upcoming jaunt to San Antonio to visit lovely people and places I decided to have a Texican Dinner.

I took my Husband's Grandma's recipe and combined it with a Chronicle recipe to make my own recipe. It may still require some tweaking but it was pretty good cold!

10 - 12 corn tortillas
3-4 cups cooked chopped chicken
1- 10 3/4 oz can Cream of Chicken
1- 10 3/4 oz can cream of Mushroom (I use Fat Free on both)
1- 7 oz jar salsa (your choice on the hot factor. I used Mild for the kids But medium may be better)
1- 10 oz can rotel (again Mild)
1 c sour cream
1 medium chopped onion
Chili powder & Garlic salt to taste. I added Lots of Garlic powder to a little garlic salt.
Grated cheese. It calls for cheddar which my hubby doesn't like so I use Mexican mix to compromise. I never follow the recipe on cheese. I use however much I see fit.
Hot Chicken stock (or broth)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get out your casserole dish and spray it with non-fat cooking spray. Dip the tortillas in hot stock and layer along bottom of casserole. One says to tear them. I used a round casserole dish so I tore some and left some whole. Then I mix the chicken and everything but the cheese together. I put some on the tortillas, then add cheese (my preference), more soaked tortillas, more chicken yumminess mix and cheese. I topped with more torn, soaked tortillas and more cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Makes 8-10 servings . We freeze the rest and husband takes it for lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment