Thursday, September 20, 2012

Endeavor- Per ardua ad astra


In about six hours the space shuttle Endeavor will leave Houston and make the trek to California. It is completely unfair that Mission Control/JSC/Houston got screwed out of a shuttle. However, I am so glad that my sons were able to gaze upon the shuttle from 100 feet away. I don't think that they understood the historical value of seeing the shuttle but then I doubt I did when I last gazed upon her when I was 6 or 7. I have high hopes that the kids will one day remember our evening hike across Ellington Field to see Endeavor one last time.

S and I walked away arm in arm reflecting on the emotions that we felt. Both of us grew up in the area and though I was an USAF brat I was a NASA groupie. He was the NASA brat as his parents both retired from NASA a few years ago. Neither of us wanted to leave her there on that runway, and I swear we left a small piece of our hearts with Endeavor. It might seem sappy to you that we feel that way but you didn't walk in our shoes. Challenger was lost as my 3rd grade class watched the launch on TV. Columbia was lost when S and I were just dating. Apollo 1 took the lives of 3 wonderful men including Gus Grissom, who was one of my favorites. The first thing that I ever wanted to you was be was an astronaut. So I mourn the loss of our shuttle and the program that brought it alive. I am glad that it lasted long enough for my kids to know the wonder that was our space program. I hope to god that there is a future program for them to marvel at and learn from.


Goodbye Endeavor! You saw our Shuttle Program to the very end and we will never forget your service. Thank you to all the wonderful people who made the program a success! Your hard work and dedication will never be forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment