Saturday, August 25, 2012

Recovery, stress, changes, and more

What a few days it has been! Let's start with the surgery scheduling. I am a spoiled Veteran who is not used to insurance issues. Growing up my Mom was in the USAF and the health insurance was great most of the time. It works the same with the Veteran's Hospital too except that they say gall bladder surgery is elective surgery. It was not elective for me. I stopped eating because everything made me sick. I was living on fruit and protein bars for a week. When I scheduled the surgery I was told my deductible was $500 and the 20% was $41. So before we could schedule the surgery we had to come up with $541. Geez, talk about stress. I went in for the consult on Monday afternoon and had to pay the $541 before 1:30 PM Pre-Op on Tuesday afternoon. We got it together, thank the lord and I got admitted without a hitch. I did my prep Tuesday night. Easy...stuff. Just the usual light dinner, nothing to eat or drink after midnight, and only a sip of water Wednesday morning to take my medicine. I had to be at the hospital by 10:45 AM Wednesday morning. I get in on time and get set up in the room. My vein in my hand would not cooperate so we had to put the IV in the bend of my arm instead. They finally let S come back to the holding area with me after letting me know that the Dr would be delayed an hour. I was upset because B & J's school orientation was at 4PM and it was looking like S would not make it. We turned on the TV and I was happily surprised that Law & Order: Criminal Intent was on because it is a great way to pass an hour delay.


When the hour was almost up we were informed that the delay would be 3 hours. We were given the choice to wait it out or come back Thursday morning. I had the IV in my arm and S had the day off so we chose to stay. I felt lousy that he was missing the boys orientation but we thought it was better to get the surgery done. Turns out that T and the boys didn't stay long anyway. I watched more LOCI, House, and I was into NCIS when they came for me. Then they took my glasses leaving me blind, hungry, and headachey in surgery holding.

They took me back to surgery holding at 3:15PM where I waited for another 30 minutes. I talked to anesthesia doctors and nurses, I talked to my surgeon, and then the fun began. I said a prayer that it would be a laparoscopic procedure and that it would be his easy surgery of the day and we got busy. They put tylenol and toradol in my IV and I remember very little else until I woke up. I remember not being able to get the hair net over my hair. I was thrilled to be going in and giggly. I woke up sick to the stomach. I told the nurse and she asked me if I was sure. WTH? Am I sure? Uh, YEAH I think I know if I want to vomit. She finally called the Dr and he ordered another nausea medicine. I started to feel a bit human and she left me. I got her attention and told her I wanted to see S and go home. They took me to Pre-Op holding and got me a diet shasta (Sprite like) drink. Boy was I feeling sick. Then she got S and he gave me my glasses back. WOOHOO for not being blind anymore. She asked me if I would be OK getting dressed with the husband. UM YEAH he kinda was there when I gave birth to our 2 sons and helped me recover from Gastric bypass, I think it is OK if he helps me get dressed. By now it was after 7 PM and everyone wanted to go home. Stephanie, the nurse, loaded me up with some barf bags for the car and a pillow for helping me cough and away I went.

So, let me show you this pillow now and explain about it.

These pillows are made by volunteers from Gloria Dei Lutheran Church. You hold it when you cough and it helps you not split your incisions open. It has been such a nice comfort to have this simple little pillow with me. What a nice parting gift from angels on earth.

I got to my Mom's house before 8 PM and finally got to see everyone. I was feeling pretty rough and out of it. I wouldn't let S take off my bracelets, I wanted to be sure I was going to be OK SO I kept them on the first night.


You can see my bracelets, barf bags, diet ginger ale, cough pillow, and pain meds in that picture. I was set up in the recliner. Then I decided that all I wanted tot do was go lay down in a bed so Mom gave me her bed. I slept fitfully on and off. I got up for a while and checked messages and sent some out to let people know I was fine. I went back to bed for a while. I took a picture of my least ugly incision and got ready to go get the teacher assignments for the little's school.

My incision looks like an H. We decided it was H for Happy to be done.


The cool shiny wrapping allows me to shower while keeping the incisions dry. And after having betadine (iodine solution) all over my boobs and belly, I needed that shower Thursday.

Friday morning was meet the teacher. Mom took me to meet the boys' teachers and then we brought home breakfast for everyone. I am sore as hell but I get around. I don't want to sit around too much because I don't need any blood clots to form. I moved a bit too much yesterday and I am sore and taking pain medicine on time today.

When S got off of work he picked up the littles and I and brought us home. I adore my Mom and sister and I appreciate them so very much but it is good to be home too. I am set up pretty well here too. I have the pain meds, the nausea meds, the laptop, water, and my heart pillow!


Now I can heal at home and I start school on Monday along with the boys. My class is at 4 PM though and I get an easy week to begin with. Saturday afternoon we are going to hang out with Blade and some other friends for a while. We will see how long I can make it before I have to come home and crash. I need to get some laundry done for the littles first day of school.

I am not glad I went through the crap I did with the ER and being so sick but I am glad that the gall bladder is gone. I feel much better already with it out. I know things will get better from here on out. I am very blessed to have an awesome group of family and friends who love and support me.







No comments:

Post a Comment